Don’t call it a comeback!

Ok, it’s a sad rap reference but there was an interesting SFChronicle article by Kenneth Baker on the current Tutankhamun exhibit at the de Young Museum, which was first shown in 1979. In the article he writes “But what will we not be seeing that we might have in the de Young’s special exhibitions galleries during the nine-month span of “Tutankhamun”? What projects did FAMSF curators have to postpone or scrap altogether for the sake of the costly “Tut” gamble?” Which begs the question, what exhibit or some variation of it, would you like to see again at the Asian? (Refer to this list of past exhibits). Personally, I’d like to see Hokusai & Hiroshige (1998). These ukiyo-e prints are just awesome!

Driving Rain at Shono by Hiroshige

Driving Rain at Shono by Hiroshige

7 Responses to “Don’t call it a comeback!”

1. bittermelon  on July 2nd, 2009 at 4:39 pm

“sad rap” reference? I don’t think so. That’s a classic!

2. otomeki5  on July 2nd, 2009 at 5:41 pm

… we’ve been here for years. Rockin our peers and puttin out crazy art shows year after year.

3. tuscanycat  on July 3rd, 2009 at 7:34 am

I guess you can look at both as classics, the rap and tutankhamun.

4. tuscanycat  on July 3rd, 2009 at 7:39 am

I think that line could pass as renga too.

5. namastenancy  on July 3rd, 2009 at 10:55 am

I have been working over a reply to his piece in my blog. The devil, they say, is in the details, and while he may have SOME of the details right about blockbuster shows, there’s a devil of a lot of detail that he left out. I would love to know what shows he thinks would have been shown at the de Young in place of King Tut? As for the Asian – I’d love to see a larger show on modern Korean art or a huge exhibit of the works of Chao Shao-an. I’d love to see ukiyo-e or an exhibit on the Floating World in all it’s glory. I think that it would also be interesting to somehow group your exquisite examples of early Cambodian art (i.e., the sculpture) and link them with the upcoming show of the art of Burma and Thailand. Their massive simplicity is in intriguing contrast to the more elaborate work from the collection that I’ve been seeing on your blog.

6. tuscanycat  on July 7th, 2009 at 8:54 am

I’d like to see Chao Shao-an (1997) again in full context also, although his paintings are rotated in the permanent collection galleries.

7. cristina  on July 7th, 2009 at 9:33 am

We just rotated the Chao Shao-an gallery yesterday, this new selection will be up through Spring.